2018’s 5 Top Laptops For Graphic Design
Serious hardware and software are required to do Graphic Design right. Finding balance in the world of performance vs weight vs price, maximum features, and portability can feel as complex as doing taxes!
As luck would have it, many laptop providers offer a wide variety of products in different categories. Our goal today is finding the best laptop for you today in 2018’s market options in the Graphic Designer profession.
As you review the laptops below, keep in mind simple social media graphics do not require the impressive hardware of the best laptops on the market. Online design tools for these social graphics can run very well on any of todays laptops.
Apple Macbook Pro (with Touchbar)Price: $2339 [see on amazon]
- Fantastic build quality
- Touch Bar works with Photoshop
- Top Tier Cost
- Processor: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory | Screen: 15-inch 1920x1200 | Storage: 512GB SSD | Memory: 16GB RAM | Ports: 4 x Thunderbolt 3 | Dimensions: Starting at 349(w) x 240(d) x 15.5(h)mm | Weight: 95kg (4.3lbs)
Microsoft Surface Book 2Price: $1979 [see on amazon]
Dell XPS 15Price: $1874 [see on amazon]
- Amazing screen
- Good battery life
- Slim and light
- Need to spend more for top spec
Processor: Intel Core i5 | Memory: 8GB RAM | Storage: 1TB HD/32GB SSD | Graphics: GeForce graphics | Ports: 1 x HDMI, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x Thunderbolt 3 | Dimensions: 357(w) x 235(d) x 11(h)mm | Weight: 8kg
Acer Aspire V17 NitroPrice: $1548 [see on amazon]
- Great screen
- Good battery life
Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50 GHz)| Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2 GB GDDR5| Screen: 3" 1920 x 1080| Storage: 1 TB HDD| Memory: 16 GB RAM| Ports: USB: 2 x USB 3.02 x USB 2.0 1 x HDMI| Dimensions: 16.65”(w) x 11.54”(d) x 1.00”(h)mm | Weight: 3.00kg (6.61lbs)
HP ZBook Studio G4 DreamcolorPrice: $1569 [see on amazon]
- Excellent screen
- Near top specs
- Relatively slim for power
- Priced to performance
- Processor: Intel Xeon CPU | Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro M1200 | Screen: 6-inch 3840x2160 | Storage: 512GB SSD | Memory: 32GB RAM | Ports: 2 x USB-C (Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort), 1 x HDMI, 1 x USB 3.0 | Dimensions: 375(w) x 255(d) x 18(h)mm | Weight: 2.09kg (4.6lbs)
You cannot go wrong with either Apple MacBook Pro or Microsoft’s Surface Book 2. While pricey, they deliver on all accounts. For those who are dedicated to Apple, don’t forget the Apple MacBook itself. If you are an entry level student, this may be your best Apple choice.
Acer was our surprise in doing our research this time. Used mainly for gaming, this was an obvious choice to add to our list given its graphics card capability. A great choice for designers.
In our Best Bang for the Buck category, the HP ZBook Studio G4 Dreamcolor stood out as the clear winner. Its combination of performance on the high end, excellent screen display, very slim for the power it has, SSD storage makes this one worth the price!